Dec 11, 2013

Let it Snow!

Winter is near! 
The snow has begun to fall (and stick) here in Illinois.


The first thing two of my kids wanted to do was make snow angels.


Seriously guys?!? 
Snow angels in a 1/2 inch of snow-HA!

Anyway, I love 
the excitement and emotion that snow brings. 

SNOW
...can make you feel jittery with excitement...
...or give you the warm fuzzies 
as you cuddle by the fireplace.

It seems that kids are always calm when doing
snow-related craft activities.
(These are from Oriental Trading.)
Don't believe me? Try it yourself!

Next time youre kids are acting off the wall, 

pull out a piece of paper and tell them to 
draw a snowman on it. See what happens...


...and once you believe me, 
you'll find yourself pulling out snow related
 activities all the time!


Which means... you're going to run out of ideas,
 So let me give you some.

Here are ten snow craftivities I found on
 that will keep your kids happy and peacefully quiet!
Most did not come with directions~they are pretty self-explanatory just by studying the picture.







This one involves sprinkling salt onto glue, 
and then using water colors on top of it.






And if you're looking for a cute book to read, 
that gives some guidance as to what you will need to build a snowman...I've got just the thing!



This little book practices the sight words: 
what, can, you, a, little



Looking for more winter activities
You'll find them here!


Enjoy! 
~Til next time
                 photo signature-1.png


15 comments:

  1. Becky I just love the snow and winter activities, they are just so cute, i love your blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. What did you use for the snow globe? I want to do this with my class but can't figure out what to use as the globe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking the same thing-they are adorable! Just wasn't sure what to use :)

      Delete
    2. Is it just a plastic cup? I think they are adorable! What is used for the snow?

      Delete
    3. Yes please let us know how to make these ornaments. Love this idea!!!

      Delete
    4. I've made the snow globes before, but I use baby food jars. They are sturdy, and work well. Usually these are meant to parents more then the kids, so they are not really rough handled.

      Delete
    5. Hello! When I did the snow globes, I used the "snow" glitter, which can be found here: http://www.orientaltrading.com/looks-like-snow-opalescent-glitter-a2-57_7012.fltr. I buy bags and bags off this stuff because it can be used for so much! I used clear plastic tumblers that I found at Walmart. For the bottom, it doesn't really matter what you use because (for this one) there wasn't any water in it. You can use the cardboard from cereal boxes (cut it out to match the cup opening) and let the kids paint it white. Then just hot glue it to the cup. I've done the baby food jars before too and did put water in them. I can't remember what we put in them though, obviously not the pictures. Hope they work out well for you guys! Come back and post photos, I'd love to see how they turn out!

      Delete
  3. I LOVE these! I want to make them with my class this week. How did you get the pictures of the students to stay standing up inside the cup? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't figure out how to stand the pictures ip

    ReplyDelete
  5. anyone figure out how to make photo stand up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leave extra paper on the bottom of the photo that you can bend and then glue on the bottom of the base.

      Delete
  6. I was thinking of hot gluing them to the bottom lid.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When cutting out pics, I would leave a flap at the bottom of each pic, maybe 1/2-1 inch long. Then laminate the pics, and cut out.
    Next I would cut a slit in the middle of the flap, going upwards toward the pic, and stop cutting when it reaches the bottom of the pic, essentially making 2 flaps.
    Then I would bend one flap forward, and the other flap back, and secure the flaps to whatever you're using for the bottom with hot glue.
    Having the flaps going in 2 opposing directing should help keep the pic upright, keeping it from leaning

    ReplyDelete
  8. When cutting out pics, I would leave a flap at the bottom of each pic, maybe 1/2-1 inch long. Then laminate the pics, and cut out.
    Next I would cut a slit in the middle of the flap, going upwards toward the pic, and stop cutting when it reaches the bottom of the pic, essentially making 2 flaps.
    Then I would bend one flap forward, and the other flap back, and secure the flaps to whatever you're using for the bottom with hot glue.
    Having the flaps going in 2 opposing directing should help keep the pic upright, keeping it from leaning

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, Did you let the salt dry before painting it? Thanks

    ReplyDelete